Moving to the USA
Coming to the United States to live is an exciting venture and preparation is the key to a smooth transition. Having an international mover who can guide you and inform you with everything you need to know will make all the difference, as they are able to manage the complex technicalities of the move.
A Checklist for Getting Your Move Right
First off, your international mover should have an established track record covering many years. This kind of experience assures that there is nothing they have not already managed.
Secondly, if you are planning a move to the USA, only a professional international moving company can help you with all of your overseas shipping needs at the best international moving rates while ensuring that your household goods arrive safely to your US destination.
Third, there are various moving services to be aware of. There is full container service, lift van services, customs assistance, insurance, protection, shipping, storage, vehicle shipping, and transportation for when you arrive on US soil.
Request A Quote
Moving to the USA should be an exciting undertaking – it doesn’t have to be stressful. The two most important things for a successful move to the USA is that you plan well ahead and allow plenty of time. At Allied International, our international moving services will guide you through all of the paperwork, but there are always some documents and regulations that need more time than others to handle properly. If you plan for delays, they will not take you by surprise or complicate your plans.
What You Need to Know About Moving to the USA
- The US. Customs Department has tightened security since September 11th. All international shipments entering the country are now subject to closer and more frequent inspections. This includes a thorough inspection of import documentation. It is important to realize that faulty or incomplete paperwork will put a shipment “on hold” until the correct documentation is supplied.
- International containers are randomly selected for “physical” inspection. This is happening with increased regularity. Most shipments are now subject to X-ray procedures on entering the US. When this happens, it can cause undue delays that may result in added per diem charges. Please realize that customs clearance can take anywhere from 4 to 8 days from the date of arrival.
- All necessary import documentation should be forwarded to your international moving representative seven days prior to shipping. This includes Form 3299, supplemental declaration, power of attorney, a clear passport photo, and a copy of your visa.
- If you are a non-US citizen you must be in the United States to receive your international shipment when it arrives.
- When you move to the United States, you cannot enter the country unless you have a complete set of up-to-date documents, including all six parts of US Customs Form 3299. Without this, you will not be allowed to arrange customs clearance. Your international mover representative will be happy to guide you through this process.
Other relevant documents may include:
– Supplemental Customs Form
– Power of Attorney
– Copy of work visa
– Copy of passport
– Work permit
– Pet customs documentation
– Vehicle registration
All of this documentation is available through your international mover agent. Consider everything you have to do when planning a move to the US because there are deadlines to meet and paperwork that needs to be filled out and returned before you can go any further.
In addition to the “official” paperwork needed to come to the United States…
Here are 10 things to know about living in the USA
- The United States is a vast country. It’s wise to do plenty of research before you commit to any one location. There are plenty of climates to choose from. Whether you like four distinct seasons, or warmth all year round, there is a state for you.
- If you are coming with your family, you might find that the big cities are not your preferred environment for raising your kids. Cities with a smaller population, or areas outside of the big cities, are often favored by parents who have the choice.
- More rural areas are less popular but they are also less expensive. Naturally, areas that are in high demand tend to have the most expensive stores, prices and rents.
- If you choose to live “off the beaten path,” you can discover significant savings. With a little bit of research, you’ll find that even in a big city you can find rentals that will fit within your budget.
- There will be many people from your origin country looking to welcome you with open arms. Lots of groups and resources will be available, no matter where you decide to live.
- Your best transportation is your car. Unless you are moving to a big city where there is an extensive and reliable public transit system, you will definitely need a vehicle of your own to get around.
- Jobs are available but you have to look for them. Employers offering lower wages consistently seek reliable employees. You can find these listings online or in newspapers.
- Health care is expensive. And, yes, you have to pay for an ambulance if it is required. Research health insurance carefully.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. When you move overseas, if one thing is certain, it’s that you will have lots of questions. Fortunately, most Americans are more than happy to guide newcomers to these answers based upon their own experiences.
- Living in the United States will be the best move you ever make. There are more opportunities and lifestyle freedoms in the US than anywhere else in the world.
The US is a very welcoming country. When you decide to make the move there, you will be welcomed, too. Moving to the US is a great adventure. Let Allied International take care of the paperwork and the logistics. You’ll be able to focus on enjoying all that the US has to offer.
You’ll find variety with people and places to suit every lifestyle. Give it a chance and you’ll be living like a native in no time.
With Allied International's air freight transport, your belongings will be delivered more quickly. It is recommend to use this method of shipping if you have time constraints for your move or would like to expedite the delivery of your items.
Allied International Overseas Shipping can provide a container shipping service that carries goods to any destination in the world. We can ship your household contents smoothly, allowing you to focus on settling your family into their new home overseas.
Moving even the smallest business overseas can be a huge undertaking. Careful planning is essential to prevent unnecessary stress. Hiring Allied International to organize the entire operation takes the heat off. It also allows the business to carry on running without affecting productivity.
We are your ultimate, one-stop-shop for all of your international storage and warehousing needs. We offer a wide range of options for storing your valuables. Whether you only have a few boxes or have heavy furniture or equipment, we can help you store your belongings in a safe and secure environment.
Our partnership with Allied International is an unmatched asset when it comes to choosing us as your international mover. With markets in over 37 countries and over 1,000 locations worldwide, our highly-trained professionals will execute your move overseas. Your timely, cost-effective international move will be accomplished through ocean or air shipping options as needed.
We will specially pack and crate your items, ensuring their safe and secure arrival. We take pride in the expert packing and stowing of your possessions.
Our aim is to have your belongings safely and quickly transferred to your new location, with a focus on customer service and your utmost satisfaction.
We provide you with a personal moving coordinator. You can check in any time you wish, referring to the same person who will be very familiar with your particular custom moving plan.